Documents issued as controlled copies are ‘locked down’ to expire and only be printed one time. We do this using digital rights management protocols which rely on a proprietary file format (.pdc) and that can only be accessed by the Locklizard Safeguard Viewer by . Here’s what you need to do:
- Go to Administration > mySettings > Preferences page
- Click on the “Application you need to install to view controlled copies” link and download the appropriate version of the Safeguard Viewer application.
- Now click the “License key required to view controlled copies” link to download the required license key specific to your account. It should appear as "<membername>.llv"
- Click to open the license key file-- you should see a confirmation message
- You will now be able to view controlled copies issued from your account.
- If you work from multiple ZenQMS accounts (e.g. company 1 vs company 2) you will need to repeat this process from each account you need to view controlled copies from.
If you try to view a protected PDF file before you have registered, the following dialog box (or similar) is displayed.
The publisher may only have licensed you to view a document for a specific number of times.
The publisher may have imposed additional screen grabber limitations. If this is the case, when viewing a document with these limitations, Windows will temporarily change the color scheme to Windows Basic. When the document is closed the Windows color scheme will return to your previous settings. A screen mask may also be applied when mouse focus is removed from the viewer window as shown in the diagram below.
You may or may not be able to print a document (the print icon therefore may or may not be enabled) and/or printing may be limited to a number of copies.
If printing is disabled the print icon will be shown as
When you print a document a watermark image or text may be displayed on the printed document.
Details of when your account expires (if ever) and when the document you are viewing expires (if ever) are displayed at the bottom of the viewer window in the status bar.