The Controlled Files section makes it easy to locate existing files, add new files, manage document categories, and export information to PDF and Excel.
The page only shows files where you are 1) an author; 2) a Category Editor/Authorized User; or 3) an Assigned Trainee. 'Normal' users will never see any documents that are not Effective or Approved. All items are key word searchable, including the attached documents themselves.
- Open/See a file: All documents in your table will show either an “EDIT” or “REVIEW” link in the first column. Clicking on this link will open a window where you can see all information on a document
- Download a Document: Clicking the icon will either immediately download a PDF of the document or (if you are a user with special privileges) will show you a small window with a choice of formats. This will NOT appear for documents set for “View Only”. The different options you may see are:
- Unrestricted PDF - Standard - does not show training questions/answers, training section or the comments section in the PDF
- Unrestricted PDF - Detailed - shows everything about the document including what is listed above. This is generally only available to Authors/Editors.
- Restricted PDF – Same content/format as the ‘Standard’ PDF but user the user cannot download, print copy or save the PDF.
- Original File - Downloads the original file as it was uploaded with no restrictions.
- View a Document: Clicking on the icon opens a PDF viewer of the document.
- Creating a New File: Users with the proper permission can add files at any time by clicking . A small window will ask you to enter a unique Document Name and select a Document Category you have access to and select a category from the drop down menu. Then Click . A new DRAFT document is created. Clicking allows you to upload many documents at once.
- Creating & Managing a Document Categories: All files must be associated with a ‘Category’—think of this like a file management system (e.g. SOPs). Users with proper permissions can add as many categories as needed by clicking .
- Customizing and Editing the Table: As with all tables, clicking brings up a field chooser listing all fields that can be added to the table view. Do this by clicking and dragging a field directly in between two other headings and letting go. You can remove columns from the table in reverse—click and drag a heading from the table and drop it into the Field Chooser.
- Exporting the Table: As with all tables, clicking the button immediately downloads all filtered data into an Excel or CSV file that includes all selected columns and all rows.
- Keyword Search ALL Documents: Keyword Search: Enter your keyword(s) into the box and click <enter/return> key. The table will only show documents that include the key word in it’s meta data, custom fields, comments or the the actual attached document.
- Filtering/Sorting Data Columns:
- Column Header Search: Enter your keyword(s) into the box and press enter. In most instances you can also change the filter settings by clicking the link. Your results will display in the table.
- Sorting: Click on any column header, such as to sort in ascending and descending order.
- Filter: Click on the filter icon to apply a filter to a column.