** Users need to be Super Administrators or have the permission "Can Create/Manage Document Categories" to be able to create and manage document categories.
From the Documents tab, click on the “Manage Categories” button. If it is inactive for you, you do not have the permission.
Adding a New Category
Click “New Category” at the top to see the window below.
After you enter a name for your category you can update the Category Settings.Most of the settings are here as default settings for newly created documents and can be changed at the document level. Others are important toggles for functionality like document headers. If you need a more detailed explanation of these settings, please see the adding a document section.
- Archive Rule for Deletion: You will need to choose an archive rule for deletion. This determines if and when a document within this category can be permanently deleted from the system after it has been retired and is in the archive. All documents within the category will have this rule applied. You can choose for files never to be deleted or a time period between one and thirty years after the document is retired.
- Automatically create training records for workflow participants: Default setting, but canCan be changed at the document level as well.
- Default User Retraining Interval: Default setting, but can be changed at the document level as well.
- Default Review Interval: Default setting, but can be changed at the document level as well.
- Default Training Grace Period (days): This # of days will be added to the assignment date to calculate training due date for newly assigned users. Note that a user's actual training due date = max [(assignment date + grace period days) or (Effective Date)]
- Document Security: Default setting, but can be changed at the document level as well.
- PDF Watermark: Text will appear in large red watermark font across all pages of the converted PDF. If you’d like to have a different PDF Watermark than “Uncontrolled”, make sure to update that field. If you would like to not have a watermark, delete “Uncontrolled” from the text box.
- PDF User/Time Stamp: There are 3 options here. The header option inserts a detailed time stamp in the header and include user name, application environment, date/time in UTC format and unambiguous page numbers including any ZenQMS pages included at the end of the document include it as a watermark with less information. The watermark option includes the user ID and time stamp as a watermark.
- PDF Header with Document Data: This feature allows you to include dynamically generated header that will include your company logo, document title, document category, version number, state, effective date, and ZenQMS document ID. You also can add up to three custom fields from the Document Details section. If you are choosing to add this header to the documents within this category, please note that we recommend a 2.5” margin at the top of the document for the header to be inserted above your content.
Below is an example of a converted PDF that includes a full header with custom fields and usertime/stamp AND a watermark.
Managing Category Users and Permissions
Click the hyperlink next to “Users with Editor/Access Rights”. You will be able to add users or groups of users to the table here. Any user in the table automatically will have read only rights to ALL documents in the category. There are also three columns for managing other permissions for the document category.
- Category Editor: This permission means the user has full EDIT rights to all documents in this category.
- Can Add Files: This permission means if the user has the permission to add files, this category will appear in the dropdown for adding or editing document category.
- Controlled Copy: This permission is required for any user (including editors, super admins, etc.) if you want to be able to issue controlled copies of a document set with that security setting.
Managing Document Approval Workflows
If you need to add specific workflow steps and collect signatures for the document to become effective/approved, you will enter them under the Workflow for Publishing/Retiring section. Remember all authors of the document will always need to sign to make the document effective. You can add as many steps as needed.
- Click the “Add Step” button and fill in the details
- Name your step
- Choose a reason code from the dropdown list
- Determine if the step can be delegated to another user
- Choose either an individual or group of users from the dropdown list. All those selected will appear as authorized users for that signature step.
- Press save when you are finished.
Managing Existing Categories
If you need to update an existing category, choose your category from the dropdown menu at the top of the screen and update your settings as needed. Press save when you are finished.