Being able to add new documents to your account actually requires two permissions-- one at the account level and one at the category level.
The 'Can Add New Controlled Files' permission in the groups/permission page literally only allows the user access to the blue buttons for adding new documents to the Controlled Files page. (see pic below)
But to be able to add files, the user also must have a permission at the document category level to add files to a specific category. So in the example below, the user had the permission to see the button and category permissions to all the listed categories. If I have the first permission but no category level permissions then I would see no categories listed in the dropdown.
How to do it:
- Go to Administration > Configuration > Groups/Permissions
- Make sure the users you want to give this permission to are assigned to a group that has the 'Can Add New Controlled Files' permission checked
- Go to Documents > Controlled Files and click the Manage Categories button
- Select the category that you want a user or group to be able to add content to
- Click the # link in the Users with Editor/Access Rights row
- In the table that opens, make sure to add the individual user or group name to the table
- Then make sure that the column for Can Add Files is checked YES for the user/group you are interested in. So in the screen below-- only the user John Riggins has this permission.